Yesterday, just before I jumped... 🦅 ➰ 📸@portberto
There's this theme happening in my life and my work right now, one of recognizing where you came from and the way it influences where you are going. ⠀
An audition I had earlier today which was a narrative story about how to gain strength from your history and invest in yourself; as well as my new venture with @newneighborsproject, a short self-directed documentary telling the stories of refugees making their new homes in the hellacious political landscape of Montana, the new American West...⠀
It's reminding me, again, that family is everything. ⠀
Your family doesn't have to be blood, but they do have to be your guiding light. Your foundation. Your support, your passion, and your energy. ⠀
Pictured here: my baby sister, my #hermosa, and a #womeniaspireto ⠀
Photo by @jayeads⠀
I am my own canvas... I've recently been offered the opportunity to produce a short documentary for @newneighborsproject! They have been working so hard, little to no time has gone into creating their social presence. More updates to come... in the meantime, please check out their page and follow the incredible stories! 💓🙏
Happy #Mothers Day to all of the incredible and inspiring women in this world!! Without you, we would cease to exist! In honor of my life and my Queen, here are 10 lesser-known interesting facts about my mother:
1. She was born, raised, and still lives in Portland, OR. 🌲
2. Very recently, she described herself as a "ruthless bitch" while talking to my boyfriend.
3. She has overcome the loss of two babies before I was born, her mother, father, twin brother, oldest brother, best friend, and half of one of her boyfriend's legs (he's a pirate). ☠️
4. SHE IS SUCH A GOOD COOK!! Her specialties are soups, pies, and the best motha-fuckin CHOCOLATE CAKE there is! 👏
5. If you're a close friend of mine, my brother's or sister's, she's more than likely made you a chocolate cake for something at some point.
6. She wants me to have kids more than I want me to have kids.
7. She raised us as a single parent.
8. If you put a guitar in her hands, she'll play a song she wrote when she was in her 20's, and then act bashful and say "she doesn't really know how to play." 🙈
9. She loved the disco era...when she probably danced the most.
10. When we were kids, she made all of our Halloween costumes by hand!! 💜
11. Nothing will ever divide the love, compassion and support we have for each other.
Happy Mama's Day, beautiful lady!
Big hearts for Tiny Desks.
#hermosa #laniña @tankandthebangas #pleasecomebacksoon 🤞💕